As 99% of the webmasters know, SEO is the key element to success.However most people are unaware of the facts, that take role when it comes to SEO.Optimizing your WordPress blog for search engines is one thing and optimizing your posts is another.I have experimented around with WordPress and optimizing posts for search engines such as Google and the results were quite pleasing.
For my experiment, I have used my other blog, which I created for experimental purposes only and here is what the experiment was about.
- Writing 6 short articles.
- 3 articles written using standard SEO features.
- 3 articles written using my check list for advanced SEO.
Let me explain my definition of standard SEO features.You have your SEO plugins installed and you add your targeted post tags and include your keywords in the title and article.While this is an option, each publisher has come up with their own way of optimizing their articles for search engines.I have came up with my own way as well, let me mention my advanced SEO check list.
- Make sure to use <h1> tags for your article title.
- Include at least 2-3 keywords in your article title.
- Include the same keywords in your article, which you have used for your title.
- Include your title in the post tags.
- Include targeted keywords in post tags.
- Make sure your theme also has a standard feature of showing post tags below your articles.
- Use alternate text and description for images.
- All in One SEO Pack by Michael Torbert.
- Google XML Sitemaps by Arne Brachhold.
- iRobots.txt SEO by Mark Beljaars
- and Google Analytics for WordPress by Joost de Valk, so you can keep track of your WordPress blog’s performance.
Now the exciting part, after my small experiment, 3 articles written using standard SEO features got less response from search engines.Keywords weren’t well targeted and search engines didn’t index my articles right away.However 3 articles written using advanced SEO method received instant response from search engines.These 3 articles were crawled by search engine robots right away and indexed in the search results.Also keywords showed a better performance in terms of organic traffic from search engines.
I have used the plugins mentioned above for all 6 articles and results turned out to be different.This shows us that, how you write and optimize your articles do play a major role in terms of SEO.I hope you have found my way of understanding and definition of search engine optimization for your posts and feel free to share yours.
Recommended: Verify Your Site With Google Webmaster Tools